Gardener (Native Tree Nursery Section)
Flora Conservation Department
- Utilize horticultural techniques to germinate, cultivate and propagate native trees & shrubs and investigate their potential for urban greening;
- Maintain the living collections, propagation facilities and cultivation areas, generally, throughout the Native Tree Nursery;
- To carry out daily operations and routines, as directed by the Restoration Ecologist and Native Tree Nursery Foreman;
- Participate in field trips to identify, collect and understand the growing requirements of candidate native plant species suitable for greening and landscaping in KFBG and urban setting (roofs, walls, roadsides, parks, etc.);
- Promote the use of native plants in Hong Kong;
- Utilize concepts of ecological landscaping, green buildings and other constructions, following sustainable principles in daily work;
- Assist in monitoring and managing various forest monitoring, restoration and enhancement plots in and outside KFBG;
- Support the training and engagement of volunteers and interns in horticultural practices, urban greening as well as in forest restoration and monitoring projects;
- Provide capacity building to external partners and colleagues;
- Utilize and promote safe working practices within KFBG.
- Commitment to the mission, vision and values of KFBGC;
- Must have the practical skill to adequately care for the propagation, planting, feeding pest control and landscaping needs of all plants in the collection;
- Has good knowledge of the plants of Hong Kong, South China and the region would be highly preferable;
- An understanding of Cantonese and English is desirable; competence in Mandarin would be a distinct advantage;
- Good communication skills;
- Self-motivate enjoy working outside throughout the year;
- Able to work independently and able to cope with regular physically demanding tasks, including working on slopes;
- Possession of a valid light vehicle driving license preferred;
- Open minded and recognizes the validity of all spiritual paths.
Please send C.V. (with interested position and expected salary) and a short essay (on relevant experience and reasons for interest in the post) to the Human Resources Manager, Kadoorie Farm & Botanic Garden Corporation, Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong or email to email@example.com.