Assistant Horticultural Foreman (Lower Displays & Greenhouses Team)
Flora Conservation Department
The post holder will play a key role in the daily operations in key Lower Farm landscapes, working with the Curator and a team of gardeners to create high impact plant displays and maintain high horticultural standards in the area’s greenhouses, specified roadsides, trails and other Lower Farm landscapes. The successful candidate will have a flare plant propagation and help to produce a broad range of high-quality potted plants both from seeds and from cuttings. They will also perform horticultural practices such as planting, weeding, transplanting, mulching, fertilising, pest control and plant protection to a high standard. They will be responsible for maintaining safe work practices and help to ensure the spaces they work in are safe for both the public and KFBG staff.
- To assist with the propagation and cultivation of plants for potted plant displays and for sale in the KFBG shop.
- To participate in the care of theme gardens, roadside plantings, trail side vegetation, and greenhouses within KFBG’s lower landscapes, including irrigation, mulching, fertilizing, pest control and plant protection as and when necessary.
- Maintain workplace safety, including keeping trails free from slip and trip hazards and rubbish, safe and tidy use of the worker’s restroom, and to report potential safety issues to the Curator. Ensure that team members carry out their work within the safety guidelines.
- Discuss and report details of daily work to the supervisor.
- Safely operate powered gardening tools for site maintenance.
- To assist with the occasional maintenance of vegetation on green rooves working safely at height and the occasional maintenance of streamside vegetation.
- To supervise and assist in the training of volunteers to help the team to perform their routine tasks.
- You are expected to strive to work in line with the KFBG values, in pursuit of the Vision and Mission of the organization, and to self-assess your performance in this regard.
- At least 2 years’experience in horticulture, including propagation and physical work in an outdoor setting in a tropical/sub-tropical environment. Candidates possessing some knowledge of native plants and practical experience working with them would be at an advantage.
- Experience in using powered gardening tools.
- Friendly, hardworking, and self-disciplined.
- Good organisational ability.
- Physically fit for outdoor work.
- Able to work on occasional Sundays if necessary, or in holidays.
- You are expected to participate in activities arranged by KFBG with the intention of developing the organisational culture.
Interested parties, please send your CV with current / last salary, expected salary and availability to the People & Culture Department, Kadoorie Farm & Botanic Garden Corporation, Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org