Assistant Horticultural Foreman – Native Tree Nursery
Flora Conservation Department
The post holder will play a key role in the care and development of the nursery-based conservation focused Living Collection. Working closely with the Horticultural Foreman, they will be responsible for the propagation and daily care of high-quality tree saplings for ecological restoration, public displays within KFBG and supply to partner organisations. They will also be responsible for permanent mother stock of rare species in the planted landscape of the nursery as well as assisting the Curator & Restoration Ecologist in the planting and maintenance of trees and enhancement plantings within KFBG.
- Assist the Horticultural Foreman to germinate & cultivate native trees, supervising nursery staff and volunteers to produce vigorous and healthy plants suitable for forest restoration projects and urban greening in Hong Kong; This includes investigation and formulation of suitable growing media, choice of suitable containers and fertiliser regimes for healthy root growth and rapid establishment after planting, routine weeding, as well as pest control and formative pruning when necessary;
- Assist in planting projects and maintenance operations within KFBG as directed by the Curator & Restoration Ecologist;
- Operate powered gardening tools for site maintenance;
- Discuss and report details of daily work to supervisors;
- Maintain workplace safety and assist in maintaining a high standard of hygiene and appropriate pest control, both throughout the nursery and its worker’s restrooms;
- Assist in monitoring the compliance by team members with all safety guidelines;
- Participate in field work if necessary, to sensitively collect seeds and vegetative propagation material to enhance and genetically diversify the KFBG Living Collection;
- Assist in maintaining accurate labelling and plant records within the nursery;
- Serve as driver for the department (if holder of driving license);
- Any other duties as necessarily requested by the management.
- Possession of a relevant educational background or at least 1-year hands-on experience in horticulture;
- With knowledge in gardening, horticulture and landscaping skills;
- Experience in hiking and interest and knowledge of native plants is an advantage;
- Good command of spoken and written Chinese, knowledge of English is an advantage;
- Knowledge in using computer, such as Microsoft Office and email, etc; is an advantage;
- Possession of a valid light vehicle license is an advantage;
- Physically fit for outdoor work, including working on slope;
- High awareness towards work safety.
Interested candidates, please send your resume to Kadoorie Farm & Botanical Garden Company or email to email@example.com or fax to 2488-1002, please indicate the application for Assistant Horticultural Foreman (Native Tree Nursery).