Assistant Horticultural Foreman (Upper Gardens Team)
Flora Conservation Department
This is a people management role. The incumbent will report to “Assistant Curator (Upper Gardens Team)
- Care for plants and horticultural displays in selected theme gardens under the management of the Upper Hillside Management Section (in particular Orchid Haven, Fern Walk, Butterfly Garden, Convent Garden and Golden Pavilion) and surrounding landscapes as assigned, by tending to a range of horticultural duties including watering, weeding, potting, mounting, pest management, pollination and propagation.
- Assist in the curation of KFBG’s unique living collections of plants, which are situated in both public areas and covered and open-air nurseries, by participating in the accurate documentation, labelling and reporting of plant lineage, health and condition.
- Assist in ensuring that the growing environments are maintained to the highest standards of safety and cleanliness.
- Help supervise volunteers and ensure effective two-way communication between them and the Assistant Curator as needed.
- Assist in preparing and setting up ad hoc exhibitions and temporary displays (both on- and off-site) from time-to-time.
- Assist with general administrative duties and daily operations of the Upper Gardens Team, as well as support the work of other horticultural and landscaping teams as needed from time-to-time.
- You will be expected to strive to work in line with the KFBG values, in pursuit of the Vision and Mission of the organisation, and to self-assess your performance in this regard.
- Ideally, at least 1 year’s experience in horticulture, including working in an outdoor setting in a tropical/sub-tropical environment, with basic working knowledge of fundamental horticultural or gardening skills.
- Candidates possessing some knowledge of Hong Kong native plants and practical experience growing them would be at a distinct advantage.
- Experience with and comfortable handling common gardening tools (ideally both manual and power tools).
- Dedicated to and physically fit for outdoor work.
- Friendly, hardworking, self-disciplined and willing to learn.
- Able to work on occasional Sundays or public holidays if necessary.
Interested parties, please send your CV with current / last salary, expected salary and availability to the People & Culture Department, Kadoorie Farm & Botanic Garden Corporation, Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong or via email at email@example.com