Nursery Foreman (Lower Gardens Team)
Flora Conservation Department
The post holder will play a key role in the care and development of the nursery-based conservation focused Living Collection. Working closely with the Landscape Supervisor, they will be responsible for the propagation and daily care of high-quality plants for ecological restoration, public displays within KFBG and supply to partner organisations. They will also be responsible for permanent mother stock of rare species, both in the planted landscape of the nursery and potted collection and assist the Landscape Supervisor in the planting and maintenance of landscapes within KFBG.
- Assist the Landscape Supervisor to develop and implement appropriate horticultural techniques to germinate, cultivate and propagate native plants and supervise nursery staff and volunteers to produce vigorous and healthy plants suitable for forest restoration projects and urban greening in Hong Kong. This includes investigation and formulation of suitable growing media, choice of suitable containers and fertiliser regimes for healthy root growth and rapid establishment after planting, routine weeding, and pest control and formative pruning when necessary;
- Participate in field work to sensitively collect seeds and vegetative propagation material to enhance and genetically diversify the KFBG Living Collection;
- Oversee the work of volunteers and junior staff of the section, as required;
- Assist in planting projects and maintenance operations within KFBG as directed by the Landscape Supervisor;
- Maintain workplace safety and assist in maintaining a high standard of hygiene and appropriate pest control, both throughout the nursery and its worker’s restrooms;
- Assist in data entry and maintaining accurate labelling and plant records within the nursery;
- Operate powered gardening tools for site maintenance;
- Assist in monitoring the compliance by team members with all safety guidelines.
Other duties :
- To assist in handling general administrative duties and daily operations of the section, such as recording the daily attendance register, as required;
- Assist in performing other duties relevant to the mission of the Flora Conservation Department when necessarily requested by the management;
- Serve as driver for the department if in possession of a valid type I or II license;
- Strive to work in line with KFBG values, in pursuit of the Vision and Mission of the organisation, and to self-assess your performance in this regard;
- Participate in activities arranged by KFBG to develop the culture of the organisation.
Job Requirements :
- At least 2 years’ experience working with a range of plants, with a good knowledge of horticultural techniques applicable to pot culture;
- Experience in supervision of staff;
- Experience in hiking or other outdoor physical activities as well as interest and knowledge of native plants is an advantage;
- Able to use computer software for record keeping, planning & staff supervision;
- Good command of spoken and written Chinese. Knowledge of English is an advantage;
- Possession of a valid Class 2 driving license is an advantage;
- Good team player with a positive attitude;
- Physically fit for outdoor work, including working on slopes;
- Able to work on public holidays when required.
Interested candidates, please send your resume to Kadoorie Farm & Botanical Garden Company or email to email@example.com or fax to 2488-1002.