Horticultural Technician (Native Tree Nursery)
Flora Conservation Department
Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) is a nature conservation and education centre spread across 148 hectares of the northern slopes of Tai Mo Shan, Hong Kong's tallest mountain. It lies in a lush valley, situated around a rocky stream that cascades down through semi-natural, recovering sub-tropical forest. Dotted throughout, visitors can discover theme gardens, educational displays featuring plants and animals, greenhouses and vegetable and fruit terraces, all interconnected by secluded walking trails. The largest part of the estate, however, is managed as a nature reserve.
KFBG adheres to a holistic approach, balancing sustainable agricultural production with conserving and restoring nature. KFBG’s hillside is a public demonstration site that showcases how this balance can be achieved by embedding organic orchards, inspirational gardens and live displays of rehabilitated native animals amid a natural landscape. The rejuvenation of KFBG’s wooded hillsides, including the restoration of native upland forest on its uppermost slopes, is a scientifically-informed, long-term undertaking that integrates horticulture and applied experimentation, with a view to sharing the lessons learned with society at large.
Our team consists of educators, ecologists, botanists, zoologists, spatial analysts, veterinarians, geneticists, arborists, horticulturists, gardeners, animal keepers and farmers. We draw on experience gained through implementing hundreds of conservation and sustainable living initiatives in Hong Kong and the wider region to raise awareness and educate the public. For more information, see www.kfbg.org and www.greenhub.hk
We invite you to be a part of this unique institute, to make a difference together with us for nature. We seek an enthusiastic Horticultural Technician with an eye for detail and a passion for growing rare and delicate species, to assist in the care and development of our unique Native Tree Nursery. The successful candidate will work closely with experienced horticulturalists in the propagation and daily care of high-quality saplings, for forest restoration projects and public displays within KFBG. They will also assist in the planting and maintenance of seed orchards and rare species within KFBG.
The post holder will play an important role in the care and development of the nursery-based conservation focused Living Collection. Working closely with the Horticultural Foreman, they will be responsible for the propagation and daily care of high-quality plants for ecological restoration, public displays within KFBG and supply to partner organisations. They will also assist in the exploration of best practices for growing and multiplying rare species, helping to foster an appreciation for the beauty of native plants and their critical role in the health of local ecology. In all aspects of their work, they will ensure high standards of horticultural practice & nursery maintenance.
- Employ horticultural techniques to germinate, cultivate and vegetatively propagate native species, producing vigorous and healthy plants suitable for forest restoration projects and urban greening in Hong Kong. This includes helping to mix suitable growing media, appropriate irrigation, assisting with fertiliser regimes, routine weeding within the potted collection and the nursery landscape, pest control and formative pruning when necessary;
- Assist in planting projects and landscape maintenance operations within KFBG;
- Assist in monitoring germination tests and other growth enhancing experiments. Participate in field work in the Hong Kong countryside to help to understand the growing conditions required for species in the nursery and assist in the collection of seeds and vegetative propagation material and data to accurately record their provenance;
- Maintain workplace safety and assist in maintaining a high standard of hygiene and appropriate pest control, both throughout the nursery and its worker’s restrooms;
- Assist in the supervision of volunteers and interns;
- Assist in maintaining accurate labelling and plant records within the nursery.
Other duties :
- Assist in performing other duties relevant to the mission of the Flora Conservation Department when necessarily requested by the management;
- Serve as driver for the department if in possession of a valid type I or II license;
- Strive to work in line with KFBG values, in pursuit of the Vision and Mission of the organisation, and to self-assess your performance in this regard;
- Participate in activities arranged by KFBG to develop the culture of the organisation.
- At least 1 year experience working with a range of plants, with a good knowledge of horticultural techniques;
- Experience in hiking or other outdoor physical activities as well as interest and knowledge of native plants are advantage;
- Good command of spoken and written Chinese. Knowledge of English is an advantage;
- Possession of a valid Class 2 driving license is an advantage;
- Good team player with a positive attitude;
- Physically fit for outdoor work, including working on slopes;
- Able to work on public holidays when required.
Interested candidates, please send your resume to Kadoorie Farm & Botanical Garden Company or email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 2488-1002, please indicate the application for Horticultural Technician (Native Tree Nursery).