Horticultural Technician (Nursery & Botanical Displays)
Flora Conservation Department
The post holder will play an important role in the care and development of the nursery-based conservation focused Living Collection. Working closely with the Horticultural Supervisor & Foreman, they will be responsible for the propagation and daily care of high-quality plants for ecological restoration, public displays within KFBG and supply to partner organisations. They will also assist in the exploration of best practices for growing and multiplying rare species, helping to foster an appreciation for the beauty of native plants and their critical role in the health of local ecology. In all aspects of their work, they will ensure high standards of horticultural practice & nursery maintenance.
- Employ horticultural techniques to germinate, cultivate and vegetatively propagate native species, producing vigorous and healthy plants suitable for forest restoration projects and urban greening in Hong Kong. This includes helping to mix suitable growing media, appropriate irrigation, assisting with fertiliser regimes, routine weeding within the potted collection and the nursery landscape, pest control and formative pruning when necessary;
- Assist in planting projects and landscape maintenance operations within KFBG;
- Operate powered gardening tools for site maintenance, including occasional green roof work;
- Participate in field work in the Hong Kong countryside to help to understand the growing conditions required for species in the nursery and assist in the collection of seeds and vegetative propagation material and data to accurately record their provenance;
- Maintain workplace safety and assist in maintaining a high standard of hygiene and appropriate pest control, both throughout the nursery and its worker’s restrooms;
- Assist in the supervision of volunteers and interns;
- Assist in maintaining accurate labelling and plant records within the nursery.
Job Requirements :
- At least 1 year experience working with a range of plants, with a good knowledge of horticultural techniques;
- Experience in hiking or other outdoor physical activities as well as interest and knowledge of native plants are an advantage;
- Good command of spoken and written Chinese. Knowledge of English is an advantage;
- Possession of a valid Class 2 driving license is an advantage;
- Physically fit for outdoor work, including working on slopes.
Interested candidates, please send your resume to Kadoorie Farm & Botanical Garden Company or email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 2488-1002, please indicate the application for Horticultural Foreman (Nursery & Botanical Displays).