OPEN CALL FOR ARTISTS!
KADOORIE FARM AND BOTANIC GARDEN ARTIST-IN-RESIDENCE PROGRAMMES 2021 - 2022
1. ABOUT OUR ARTIST-IN-RESIDENCE PROGRAMMES
Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Artists-in-Residence welcomes applications from artists, performers and writers. KFBG resides near Lam Tsuen, Tai Po, one of Hong Kong’s little-known jewels, with nine kilometres of road wind their way up around organic farming terraces, theme gardens and native forest to the summit at over 1800ft above sea level. Artists may employ various materials and inspirations from nature to create bodies of arts and performances, to embody a meaningful conversation between art, sustainability, nature and the community.
This is an exciting opportunity for artists from around the globe to step out of the indoor studio practice, to connect with the finest elements of nature for artistic exploration, and to bringing cultures together through the arts. We are seeking enthusiastic artists, or the right individuals from any discipline – visual arts, mixed-media, literature, education, design, music, dance, film, theatre and more to use art as a possibility to find harmony with nature, making art more accessible and approachable to the communities.
Under the principle of environmental conservation, resident artists could use the Art House, the Natural Wood Workshop and other open spaces of KFBG as their studios for artistic practice. Art materials and woodwork equipment are available for use by the artist.
RESIDENCE PERIOD: 1 APR 2021 - 31 MAR 2022 - AVAILABLE NOW!
2. DETAILS OF THE PROGRAMMES
The artist will be staying within a period of 1 to 3 weeks long, subject to the content and format of the proposal. The residence will be closed with an exhibition at the Art House Gallery or any suitable open spaces at KFBG. During the residency period, artists will be creating artwork and running programmes to share their artwork and ideas to our community.The artist should be running at least one workshop to share with KFBG’s community.
- Performing Artists-in-Residence
The artist(s) will be staying within a period of 1 to 3 weeks long, subject to the content and format of the proposal. The artist(s) are expected to run meaningful community collaborations, and to share various performances at the Art House Gallery or any suitable open space at KFBG.
The artist(s) should be running at least one workshop to share with KFBG’s community.
Local or international artists of ages 18 and/or above
- Good command in spoken English and/or Cantonese
- The nature and content of the residency proposal must be aligned with the mission and vision of KFBG
- Selected overseas artists should provide supporting documents for the application of a valid visa or related qualifications
- Fluency in languages
- Artist Statement
- Curriculum vitae
- Residency Proposal
- The expectation of and the contribution to the Residency
- Images of artwork: named by the English title, 5 images max.
- Link to the artist website or video/ sound clips, 3 max.
After the approval of the Residency, all local and overseas artists will receive financial support for artwork creation, which will be reimbursed during or after the Residency.
- Accommodation, travel and living allowance (within limit) will be provided to the selected overseas candidates. Details and amount will be discussed and confirmed after the approval of Residency.
6. HOW TO APPLY
Please download the application form here, send the required information by post or email to the attention of Ms Carmen Lau (firstname.lastname@example.org), Art Education Officer, at the KFBG Education Department for consideration.
Please direct any enquiries to Ms Carmen Lau via email@example.com / +852 2483 7276.