Horticultural Technician (Lower Gardens Team)
Flora Conservation Department
The job holder will work within a team of gardeners in the daily care of KFBG’s unique ex-situ conservation collection and displays of native plants in the Walter Kerr Garden and other Lower farm landscapes, following instructions from the Supervisor and Assistant Foreman. They will perform horticultural practices such as planting, weeding, transplanting, mulching, fertilizing and pest control and plant protection to a high standard. They will also help to ensure that the spaces they work in are safe for both the public and KFBG staff. They will have the opportunity to participate in fieldwork to collect seeds and propagation material of native species in the wild and to assist the nursery based staff in preparing plants for ex-situ conservation, ecological restoration and botanical display.
- To assist the supervisory staff to look after theme gardens & exhibition areas in KFBG
- Maintain workplace safety, including keeping trails free from slip and trip hazards and rubbish, safe and tidy use of the worker’s restroom, and to report potential safety issues to the Assistant Foreman & Supervisor.
- Discuss and report details of daily work to the Assistant Foreman.
- Daily care of the ex-situ conservation collection planted out within KFBG, including irrigation, mulching, fertilizing, pest control and plant protection as and when necessary.
- Operate powered gardening tools for site maintenance.
- To assist with the maintenance of vegetation on green rooves working safely at height and the occasional maintenance of streamside vegetation.
- To assist in implementing enhancement planting projects in the Upper Farm.
- Participate in field trips to identify, collect and understand the growing requirements of candidate native plant species for forest restoration, greening and landscaping in KFBG.
- Assist in the supervision of volunteers and interns.
- Assist in maintaining accurate labelling and plant records within the garden.
Other duties :
- Assist in performing other duties relevant to the mission of the Flora Conservation Department when necessarily requested by the management.
- Serve as driver for the department if in possession of a valid type I or II license.
- Strive to work in line with KFBG values, in pursuit of the Vision and Mission of the organisation, and to self-assess your performance in this regard.
- Participate in activities arranged by KFBG to develop the culture of the organisation.
- A love of native plants and a dedication to growing them well.
- Practical work experience in agriculture, horticulture or silviculture would be an advantage.
- Physically fit for outdoor work.
- Friendly, hardworking, and motivated with good self-discipline.
Interested parties should send your CV and covering letter (describing relevant work experience, reasons for interest in the post and expected salary) to the People & Culture Manager, Kadoorie Farm & Botanic Garden Corporation, Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories