About Us - Departments
To cope with the development of the Farm, the Engineering and Facilities Department was established in 2004. The main purpose of the establishment of the Engineering and Facilities Department is to continuously maintain and improve the facilities inside the Farm in a professional way, so as to provide a safe and comfortable environment for our visitors and employees.
In order to achieve our goals, we consistently carry out the following tasks:
- Condition inspection and maintenance of road facilities and equipment;
- Maintenance and improvement projects of building facilities and equipment;
- Condition inspection and maintenance of slopes and retaining walls;
- Continuous improvement of environment and work safety;
- Domestic water supply and wastewater treatment;
- Monitoring and management of energy use;
- Garbage collection and sorting;
- Sustainable development of engineering and facilities.
The following are some of our information and work that may be of interest to you:
- In order to provide a safe access for our visitors travelling around and enjoying the natural ecological environment of the Farm, we continuously maintain about 10 kilometres of roads inside the Farm, which is approximately equal to the distance from Central to Chai Wan.
- In order to ensure traffic safety and prevent any landslides, we regularly inspect and maintain more than 250 slopes and retaining walls. The total length of all slopes and retaining walls exceeds 17.8 kilometers. Its length can enclose 42 nos. of standard Grade A football pitches.
- In order to effectively use of natural resources, we thoroughly filter and disinfect the stream water flowing down from the mountains to provide daily domestic water and irrigation water in the Farm. The reservoirs in the Farm provide us with about 140,000 litres of water every day. In this way, we can save a lot of water supply from the Hong Kong Water Supplies Department.
- In order to reduce wastes water discharge, a constructed wetland sewage treatment system is used to treat sewage discharged by humans and poultry in the Farm. The constructed wetland wastewater treatment system was completed and started operation in 2009. This is the first constructed wetland system in Hong Kong specifically designed to treat sewage (including floats) discharged by humans and poultry. The treated water from the constructed wetland treatment plant is finally recycled for flushing and irrigation.
- In order to reduce the energy supplied by the power company, the Farm has installed 4 sets of solar photovoltaic power generation systems and power storage system for road lighting. According to our records, the total power generation was approximately 16,100 kWh from July 2019 to June 2020. We do our best every day to reduce the impact of carbon emissions on the greenhouse effect.